With Easter now over and most of us saturated with chocolate, it’s worth remembering how poisonous chocolate is to dogs and making sure no stray eggs or chocolates are left in range of dogs or other animals. Unfortunately, chocolate poisoning cases always rise this time of year, as it is hard to keep track of all that chocolate! 

If you think your dog might have got hold of some, then act as quickly as possible and contact your vet. Often your vet will still want to take precautionary measures even if you are not 100% sure that your dog has been poisoned.

If you’re not sure but your dog is showing concerning symptoms, then still contact with your vet for advice or treatment: According to the Kennel Club “Chocolate poisoning can initially cause vomiting and diarrhoea, but may lead to excitability, twitching, tremors, fitting and life-threatening problems with the heart.”

Also, remember to dispose of all the chocolate packaging safely away from dogs as this will have an enticing aroma and could lead to obstructions in their digestive system if eaten.